Friday, September 20, 2013

Is Marraige Outdated?

Marriage is something that is being taken for granted nowadays in my opinion. It’s a bond between two people to be with each other for the rest of their lives; not just a couple of years. It is something to be taken seriously not lightly. Your make a huge commitment to another person to be with them; so why is everyone running off to get married just do end it in a few months? I personally think that you should really take your time to be with someone and after a while of being together then you’ll know if that person is for you.

Marriage in America as I see it seems to be in a serious down fall presently. There is a high rate of divorce in this country. It seems the marriage has become outdated and people rather just live together. I don’t disagree with people choice to just live together without getting married because marriage isn’t always for everyone. However, it seems that most people nowadays have a fear of commitment; afraid of being with one single person for the rest of their lives. They are afraid of settling when someone better may be out there. I feel that one of the major problems during this generation is the majority seeking for something better.

In the chapter 2 Natalia River discussed the concept of temporary marriage.  It is a marriage in which the partners can choose an amount of the time in which the marriage can be void; I think we can all agree that such a marriage shouldn’t even be allowed to be called a marriage at all. The vows say “until death do us part” not until 5 years from now. It just gives bases for people to not fully commit into something so important. I just think its ludicrous idea that should not even be fostered at all. Marriage in the past was something that everyone had to accomplish in their lifetime however, times has changed marriage isn’t a necessary anymore. More couples just opt to living together rather than marriage. Cohabitation is a way better option than a temporary marriage.  A temporary marriage is nothing but a sham.

Marriage isn’t part of the social fabric anymore but that’s just my opinion.  Marriage isn’t something that everyone has to do anymore. It was become more of any option then a necessity in today’s society. Even though it’s just an option now doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have its benefits. Marriage is something more meaningful then just a partnership; people that wish to marry can’t because of society not allowing them the equal right as the majority. It’s just depressing how we take the right to marriage for granted while others long for it.


I think the major cause of the marriage taking a downfall in this century is because people are afraid of commitment. I know making a serious lifelong commitment is difficulty and sometimes scary however that doesn’t mean that we should avoid it. We should try to support that youth today and help them understand that commitment isn’t a horrible thing.  However we shouldn’t pressure marriage at all either because then single parents will be pressured to into find a partner and they wouldn’t be able to provide a stable life for their children. All in all marriage is something that we are losing in the turn of the century with fewer and fewer successful marriages. I feel that we shouldn’t just forget about it because it can be a wonderful thing. The youth of today needs to take their time before choosing their partner instead of rushing into because your biological clock is ticking. A more successful marriage comes from to people that really know one another and are compatible. 

11 comments:

  1. Great ideas. I agree with your statement that the general population of this generation is afraid of a lifetime commitment! I really hope too, like you, that people will not rush into getting married and spend enough time to know each other before committing to a lifetime promise, it will help to lower the risk of getting divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with your opinion, most people get married without knowing their partner. There are few marriages that really take their time to meet their other half. without really meeting your partner everything will fail in a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your ideas on temporary marriages. The vow "till death do us part" is significant and it means forever. With that new temporary marriages that last up to five years or so, is just defeating the whole purpose of marriage. We are also on the same page with the fact that marriages in America is on the down fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! I completely agree with you that many people are scared of commitment. For a lot of people they have a hard time imagining one partner for the rest of their life. As the chapter said, there are so many ways that people can meet new people through social media and remaining faithful is becoming more difficult to people and that is apparent through statistics. Great points!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, marriage is something that a lot of people take granted now a days. If people weren't afraid of commitment then there might be less divorces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I also have to agree that people are taking marriage for granted. I do believe that people are afraid of commitment and that marriage is for people who wants to know more about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great points presented in this blog! Marriage is no longer viewed as a requirement so I believe people feel that if they are no longer happy it's ok to quit. I also don't believe in things such as "temporary marriage".

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some very strong points and I'm with you on the whole temporary marriage thing. It's also sad to know not everyone can enjoy marriage while some people are scared of it all but still have the privilege to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you, getting to know the person and not rushing into marriage is important. Knowing the person well before taking that big step.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I agree, marriage is a choice now. Living together is a choice as well. I think its smart to live with someone for a few years before you even think of getting married to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, marriages are supposed to be taken step by step and no rush. You made some good points about marriage.

    ReplyDelete